As if you needed another reason to fear lithium-ion batteries, an woman on a flight from Beijing to Melbourne has had a particularly heated experience.
While asleep, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau reports, the woman’s battery-operated headphones exploded, waking her up and causing her to frantically get the device off her face.
“As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face,” the woman told the Bureau. “I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck.”
She promptly threw them on the floor, where she says they were “sparking and had small amounts of fire”.
Lithium-ion batteries, which power most mobile electronic devices, have become notorious for incidences of spontaneous combustion.
The power-packed devices have caused controversy with the likes of the ill-fated Samsung Galaxy Note 7, as well as e-cigarettes and electric hoverboards.
Despite being doused with water, says the Bureau, the battery and some plastic had melted and stuck to the plane’s floor.
“For the remainder of the flight, passengers endured the smell of melted plastic, burnt electronics and burnt hair,” it says.
Images show the woman covered in soot as a result of the explosion, but thankfully, she merely has a few blister on her hand to show for the experience.
Next time you’re travelling, be careful not to fall asleep with a ticking time-bomb on your head!